Tremors 5: Bloodlines (2015)


The giant, man-eating Graboids are back and even deadlier than before, terrorizing the inhabitants of a South African wildlife reserve as they attack from below-and above. 

REVIEW: Tremors 5: Bloodlines was the first Tremors movie in 11 years, and it seems like it's quite the divisive entry, but I must say that for me, personally, I love the absolute hell out of this one, right up there alongside the first two movies, though perhaps just a small peg below.


The main thing everyone seems to hate is the new remodeled designs of the Graboids and Assblasters, but I'm perfectly fine with them. They have an in-movie reason why they look different, and in the case of the Assblaster I actually think this new design is a huge improvement on the original design from Tremors 3: Back to Perfection and the TV Series, which I thought was a really silly and stupid design. I am disappointed this offshoot of them skips the Shrieker phase though, but the new Assblaster almost looks like it's an evolutionary cross between the two, so I'm almost ok with that being the case. I also love that this movie returns to the roots of the original two, in the sense that it's a perfect even mix of horror and comedy, and the first movie since the second one to really utilize that horror aspect well.

Most of the new characters joining Michael Gross' Burt Gummer are fairly forgettable though, save for the South African version of Burt Gummer, which I thought was hilarious, and Jamie Kennedy as the comedic sidekick of this movie, which I actually (and surprisingly) really enjoyed, and I personally think he's the best comedic sidekick character since Kevin Bacon in the original movie.

Unfortunately, there is a segment in the middle of the movie dealing with Burt stuck in the middle of the desert, in a cage, that I feel went on way too long, got just a bit too silly, and ruined an otherwise perfect flow of momentum in the movie.


That one portion aside though, and other than a mostly-forgettable cast of new characters, Tremors 5: Bloodlines was a total blast for me, and a great return to form for the series after the more horror-less later entries of Tremors 3 and Tremors 4: The Legend Begins. I even loved how it had a slight nod to the short-lived TV series within it, as it started with Burt filming a new survival video, which was something he started doing during the events of the TV series.

9/10 rooms in the Psych Ward

Comments

Most Popular Posts For This Week

Darr @ The Mall (2014)

Early Screener Review: Jailbait/17 & Life: Jailbait (2014)

Early Review: Zoombies 2 (2019)

The Dyatlov Pass Incident/Devil's Pass (2013)

The Coed And The Zombie Stoner (2014)

Sleeping Beauty (2014)

Raaz (2002)

Flight 666 (2018)

The Monster of Phantom Lake (2006)

Destination: Outer Space (2010)