Banshee Chapter (2013)


A journalist explores the disturbing links behind her friend's sudden disappearance, an ominous government research program, and a disturbing radio broadcast of unknown origin.

REVIEW: So I figured for Halloween this year I wanted to do up a review for one of the creepiest movies I've seen in a long time, and it didn't take me long to realize that the movie I'd pick would be Banshee Chapter as it is, without a doubt, one of the scariest, most tense horror movies I've seen in years. 

It's filmed partially Found Footage style during moments, but mostly it's done in the traditional regular style. While I love both on their own, I usually hate it when a movie switches back and forth between the two styles in the one movie, such as with [Rec] 3: Genesis, The Pyramid, and Extraterrestrial, and I much prefer a movie just sticks with the one style or the other, but here with this one it didn't really bother me at all as I was just so invested in everything that was going on and they knew how ramp up the tension successfully in both filming styles that I was totally engrossed.


Sure, this movie can be a bit of a slow burn, but it uses that slow burn successfully, in my opinion, to build up a growing tension and never leaving a scene ending without a lingering and growing feeling of dread and uneasiness. Of course it's pretty easy to do that when your movie is heavily inspired by the great classic master of horror himself, H. P. Lovecraft. From the plot, to the creatures, to the mythology, his fingerprints are all over this one.

My only complaint is that I wish more had happened during the climax of the movie, and maybe that we got to see more of the creatures during it, as it felt like it was just...missing something. I can't even put my finger on it but it felt like there should have just been more there. There is a lot of build up throughout the movie and it kind of just fizzles out. With that said though, I enjoyed everything else about this movie, cheap jump scares and all, that I look at that complaint as so minor that I can't even really warrant removing any points for it.


Banshee Chapter is pretty much the perfect late-night movie to put on during a hot summer thunderstorm. Turn off the lights, open the windows to hear the rain pounding and thunder booming, and load it up on a laptop just a few inches from your face with the sound on bust or with headphones in your ears.

Trust me, it will be an experience like no other.

10/10 Rooms in the Psych Ward



Comments

Most Popular Posts For This Week

The 10 Best B-Movies of 2011

Early Screener Review: Jailbait/17 & Life: Jailbait (2014)

The Dyatlov Pass Incident/Devil's Pass (2013)

Sleeping Beauty (2014)

Early Review: Zoombies 2 (2019)

Atlantic Rim/Attack From Beneath (2013)

Age of Dinosaurs (2013)

Early Screener Review: Android Cop (2014)

Decoys 2: The Second Seduction (2007)

Raaz 3: The Third Dimension (2012)