SuperFast! (2015)


Rookie cop Lucas White goes undercover in a street racing crew as they scheme to rob a crime boss kingpin in this parody of the Fast and Furious franchise.

REVIEW: I'm a huge fan of the Fast and Furious franchise. I've highly enjoyed every film they've made, with Tokyo Drift being a bit of a weaker entry for me than the rest. When I heard the makers of all those dreadful "Fill in the Blank Here" Spoof movies were making a spoof of the Fast and Furious films, I have to confess that I was curious to say the least. Than when the trailer came out and I viewed that, while it may not have been the funniest thing I've ever laughed at, what I did see seemed okay to me and certainly better than 99% of what I saw of all their countless other spoof movies

So how does SuperFast! stack up?


I have to admit, I actually found that it was quite enjoyable. It's one of those spoof movies that are more story-based and follows an actual plot, as opposed to just random spoofing of every relevant reference out there, with no direction whatsoever, like most of those other spoof movies do. Sure, there was some of that included, but it was mostly all wrapped up within an actual story-driven plot, and I have to say I actually got some genuinely good laughs out of it.

Take most of the main characters from the first The Fast and the Furious, take a few of the other main characters from Fast Five, and then throw in some story elements from the original The Fast and the Furious, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and Fast Five, and you'll essentially have the basics of SuperFast! down pat.The characters on display here are meant to represent the different Fast and Furious characters and most of their names are taken from the actors that played those roles in the Fast films, except for Lucas, who is clearly the Paul Walker character of the movie. But for instance, Vin, Jordanna, Michelle, and Rock are all names of characters in this spoof that correspond to those actors' characters from the Fast films.


The action is, at best, decent. It's a spoof movie so obviously nothing is really going to be taken seriously in this, but the action for what we get, is nicely done in a comedic kind of tone and fit the style of the movie quite well. Just don't go in expecting any kind of large extravagant well-shot thrilling action set pieces, is all.

Unlike what the other Spoof movies tend to do, there are no real spoofs of other big franchises or references to whatever else is 'in' in pop culture right now, sticking mostly solely to the one franchise and topic it set out to spoof. It also seems to know exactly what it is, never treating itself like it's anything more than a simple cheap Direct-To-Video cashgrab spoof,and even references that fact within the movie itself, during a 'team recruitment' scene.


Overall, despite my low reservations towards this one due to my knowledge on all those other god awful spoof movies, I have to say that SuperFast! definitely didn't disappoint, and dare I say I actually rather enjoyed it quite a bit for what it is, which is a mindless fun spoof of the Fast and Furious films and nothing more, nor does it try to be.

I love the Fast and Furious films and I'd gladly watch this again alongside them as I chuckled quite a bit, and even found myself full-on laughing more than I expected to. In the realm of all those quick cashgrab spoof movies, this one is without a doubt one of the better ones, if not the best one. 

7/10 Rooms in the Psych Ward



Comments

Most Popular Posts For This Week

Darr @ The Mall (2014)

Early Screener Review: Jailbait/17 & Life: Jailbait (2014)

The Dyatlov Pass Incident/Devil's Pass (2013)

Early Review: Zoombies 2 (2019)

The Coed And The Zombie Stoner (2014)

Sleeping Beauty (2014)

Flight 666 (2018)

Raaz (2002)

Destination: Outer Space (2010)

The Monster of Phantom Lake (2006)